How to Apply
The embassy strongly advises intending travelers to apply for visas well in advance of the proposed journey. You should never make irrevocable travel plans until the visa has been issued and you are in receipt of your passport and visa.
The Port Moresby Consular District includes the following: Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.
How Do I Apply?
Step 1: Complete the application and schedule your appointment. You will need to complete the web-based non-immigrant visa application DS-160. The DS-160 confirmation page will have a barcode number. Please print out the confirmation page, as you will need to bring it to your interview. After completing the application online, you then need to book your appointment for a visa interview using the barcode found on the confirmation page from your DS-160. Please schedule only one appointment per person. Both the DS-160 application form and the appointment scheduling system can be found on this page:
Step 2: Attend the visa interview. All applicants must present the following documents at their interview:
- Passport. Your passport must be valid with at least 6 months remaining until it expires. There must be at least one empty page within the passport to adhere a visa if it is approved.
- Application Form confirmation. This is DS-160 confirmation page with barcode described above.
- One color photograph. The photograph must meet the following specifications:
- 5 cm x 5 cm (2” by 2”)
- white background
- head centered in the frame with forehead and ears fully visible.
- Supporting Documentation. Supporting documentation will differ from person to person, but supporting documents might include the following: a description of the purpose of your visit to the United States, information about your current employment, evidence of how you will finance your trip, information about your properties and your family.
Step 3: Visa Fee Payment: Pay the non-refundable application fee of USD 160.00 at the U.S. Embassy on the day of your interview. You may pay this fee in the PNG Kina equivalent or in U.S. Dollars. This fee is non-refundable. Some visa classes may require an additional fee. Papua New Guinea citizens who desire a multiple entry one-year visa will need to pay an additional USD 15.00, if their visa is approved.
Note: Interview Waivers. We are required to interview and fingerprint all applicants from ages 14 to 79 years. Applicants below 14 years and above 80 years are generally exempted from the personal interview requirement.
Need Assistance? Please visit our website at http://portmoresby.usembassy.gov, write us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at +675 321-1455 and press "0" to speak to an operator. The Consular Section has two computer terminals available in our lobby if you need to use them to complete and submit your visa application.